The Fall Crabapple Tart (September 2012)



The Fall Crabapple Tart

I decided to share with my NetworkforMoms.org friends a healthy old family recipe.  This recipe includes freshly picked organic crabapples . Crabapple tarts have been made for many years, but they always tasted too sour.. My mother made them years ago and hers had a nicer taste. I decided to make these tarts using my own recipe and they are delicious!  
According to HealthBerth.com, crabapples are 'a good source of fibre, Vitamin C and minerals (especially potassium).'  Their other health benefits are that: 'the soluble fibre may lower blood cholesterol and may help to protect against heart and circulatory disease.' (You can read HealthBerth.com's article 'Crabapples May Protect Heart Health' here: http://www.healthberth.com/2010/12/crab-apples-may-protect-heart-health.html)

I made these tarts as deserts and experimented with a few other ingredients to create new flavors for the tarts. My mother made her own pie crusts, but I used a store-bought crust for these. 

For these crabapple tarts, I added granola, made by Cook's Farm and Orchard in Brimfield, MA. I also made them with unsweetened coconut as a garnish. Above is what the tarts look like before they are cooked.  (All of my crabapple recipes can be found in my new cookbook "Cooking with Crabapples: Tasty Recipes")


 The granola I used is a special maple syrup granola.  The maple syrup is made by the son of the original owner of Cook's Farm and Orchard, Marge Cook.  Her son, Simeon Cook, lives in Vermont and makes maple syrup for the granola for Cook's Farm and Orchard.  The granola is very tasty and added a wonderful flavor to my tart.

(l-r) Gayle Aikey and Marge Cook of Cook's Farm, outside of the Prudential Mall
Cook's Farm and Orchard hosts an annual Harvest Fest at the farm in Brimfield, MA.  The festival is September 22-23, 2012 from 10am - 5pm.  Here is the link: www.CooksFarmOrchard.com
 
The festival is a fun day for families and includes the following activities:
  • Pumpkin painting
  • Face painting
  • Pony rides
  • Live Music: on Saturday and Sunday afternoon
  • There is also a bake shop open all day featuring hot apple dumplings, homemade apple pies and ice cream.

This smiley face is made with my organic crabapple tarts and with Cook's Farm and Orchard maple syrup granola.  You can purchase the granola along with pies, jams, cookies and more at their stand:

Tuesdays and Fridays: Copley Square across from the Fairmont Hotel, Boston, MA
Thursdays: Outside of the Prudential Center Mall entrance on Boylston Street, Boston, MA

They will be at these locations until Thanksgiving and don't forget to mention NetworkforMoms.org!

Happy tart making everyone!
Joy E.
Posted September 17, 2012
*If you would like to support us, please click and shop with our sponsored advertisers in the right panel of this website.


"I can't wait to have my mom's crabapple tarts one day, yum!  Tee-hee!

Proceeds from Web advertising help support our mission. NetworkforMoms.org is not paid by any of the companies mentioned above.

**Please do not use my articles and photos without permission from me.

*** I hope my fellow moms find this information useful and feel free to enter your e-mail address to the RIGHT in the area called "Enter Your E-mail Address to Subscribe to NetworkforMoms.org" and you will be notified of all new posts to my site. If you enjoyed this article, feel free to link it to your Facebook page or join the site with Google Friend Connect by using the gadgets in the right panel of this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NetworkforMoms.org supports

NetworkforMoms.org supports
Keep up the great work!!